Friday, January 18, 2013

Cupcake Beanie

I call this the "Cupcake Beanie" because it looks like a cupcake: small bottom, big top! It fits big on me, but I'm oddly okay with that. I found 3 ways to wear this beanie! Check it out. Pattern at the bottom. I apologize right now because I didn't work off a pattern on this one, and I'm bad at keeping track of what I do. And I'm not about to sit here and count the rows because I'm off to watch "Pitch Perfect." Hahaha! Anyway, I'm a go-with-it DIYer so please forgive me.


First way to wear this beanie (above): My intention was to make a beanie that will flop behind or be big enough behind that I can tuck in my waist-long hair. Intention accomplished!


2nd way to wear (above): Folding the...brim...gave me a thickness to warm my ears. Another reason why I'm oddly okay with the size of this beanie is because I can pull it lower to cover my ears and nape. This is how I wear this beanie during morning carpool.


3rd way to wear (above): Almost like a beret!

Now for the pattern:

US Size 7 (4.5 mm) dpn, knitting in the round
Cast on [your size head x3] in multiples of 4

Rows 1-[how long you want it]: K2, P2

K2, Increase/Add stitch, P1, repeat until end of row

Next 2 rows: K
Next 2 rows: P
Next 5 rows: K
Next 2 rows: P
Repeat (K 5 rows, P 2 rows) until desired length, end with P 2 rows

Decrease Section. Decrease only on Knit rows:
K2tog, K3, repeat until end of row (Knit any odd stitch left at the end)
K entire row
K2tog, K2, repeat until end of row (Knit any odd stitch left at the end)
K entire row
K2tog, K1, repeat until end of row (Knit any odd stitch left at the end)
Purl 2 rows

Repeat Decrease Section until you are left with 8 stitches.
Cut 2-3 inches of yarn, and thread through the 8 stitches. Pull taut. 
Thread any excess yarn through the stitches.

No comments: